The Best Video Game Blog On The Interwebs!

Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake Winners Are Listed HERE!

Friday, February 19, 2010

Comand and Conquer 4: Tiberain Twilight Won't Have LAN Support

Not too long ago the internet freaked out when it was announced that Starcraft 2 won't have any LAN support. It seems that Activision Blizzard isn't the only LAN nazi, becuase EA's Command and Conquer 4 won't have any LAN support either. As well as cutting out LAN support, C&C4 is also cutting dedicated server support.

Lead Designer Sam Bass commented on this issue, The player progression system works "across single-player, multiplayer and skirmish and all the information is stored in a server. So if you go to another machine -- friend’s house, Internet cafĂ© -- whatever, you can login with your profile and all the stuff you’ve unlocked is accessible to you there. It all lives on a server so you can’t really do dedicated servers with that."
It seems to be a more popular way to go for companies these days to cut out LAN and dedicated server support. I'm personally not a huge fan of this news, but at the same time, "times are a changin'" and you can't really do anything about that.

9 comments:

  1. It seems LAN is dying... Which I find is a much better DRM solution than Ubisoft's lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I didn't use lan that much, so no problem with that.
    But what will happen with LAN parties?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another reason to skip what I already think is a terrible game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well balls. I don't really care much for C&C and all these pirating anti-measures will do is bring like 5% more sales from the fans that can't pirate it any more, but it will seriously bring down the number of players that actually play the game (pirates and all) and with that the popularity and publicity of the game.
    I continue to believe that pirating games is an integrated part in the gaming industry, especially in low developed countries. People there don't have money right now to buy 50$ games so they pirate them; they then grow fond to said games, and in the future, when salaries get decent (and the pirates turn 18, lol), will become hardcore fans of the franchise and benefit the community and sales; if they're stopped from playing it now, they'll never buy it... who benefits from that?
    Anyway, with franchises like C&C has become (aka "moneyz bringers") they aren't going for lasting appeal but immediate profit, which brings me to the start of my post where "I don't care about this kind of games" :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in the beta and its fun n all but without dedicated servers I do not see myself buying this game unless it has some amazing map edited custom games.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the beta too but game crash at patching not found why yet

    ReplyDelete
  7. yea, its pretty hard including lan because people will just download a lan hacked version of it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep trying to convince myself I want this, but then I read something like this and the doubts pile on.

    What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doesn't matter since Tiberian Sun came out they can play C&C alone i dont care about that game anymore. I WILL play StarCraft Broodwar till StarCraft Wings of Liberty goes Live.

    ReplyDelete