The Best Video Game Blog On The Interwebs!

Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake Winners Are Listed HERE!

Friday, March 26, 2010

Half Life 2 Episode 3 Should Scare You

Recently Edge magazine had the opportunity to talk to Valve's founder and president, Gabe Newell, who had some interesting things to say about Valve's next steps.
When Gabe was asked "if the Half-Life series deliberately matured with its audience as part of a special look at the franchise", he replied:
"I feel like we've gotten away from genuinely scaring the player more than I'd like, and it's something we need to think about, in addition to broadening the emotional palette we can draw on."
After that, Gabe was asked  "what scares [Valve gamers] the most" he had a pretty intense response,"the death of their children. The fading of their own abilities."
 I never saw Valve as a studio who's into making scary games, but after I thought about it for a couple of seconds I realized that all the way back in Ravenholm from Half-Life 2, Valve has included some "scary" thing in their games (TF2 had a special Halloween patch). I'm always one to enjoy a good scare in video games, so I fully embrace Gabe's vision, and I'm sure many others will too.
On a side note:
I gotta say, Gabe is always spot on with his humor to the point where you can't tell if he's joking or not, and I love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment